125 years ago today - Feb 20, 1896

Elders Reed Smoot and B[enjamin]. Cluff, Jr., accompanied by brother Willard Young and sister Susa Young Gates, called on the First Presidency, who were all at the office, and expressed satisfaction at the proposition for the B[righam]. Y[oung]. Academy to pass into the hands of the Church. Brother Young and sister Gates thought that the first thing to do was to obtain legal advice in reference to the transfer, and that this should be done before consulting the heirs of the estate of Pres[iden]t. [Brigham] Young. Brothers Cluff and Smoot were advised to consult attorneys in reference to making the change. It was agreed that there would be no necessity to change the name of the Institution, and the general opinion was that by the Church assuming control of the Academy and building up a strong Normal Department, the intention of the late Pres[iden]t. Young in reference to the Academy would be carried out with greater efficiency than ever.

[Journal History, as quoted in Minutes of the Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1910-1951, Privately Published, Salt Lake City, Utah 2010]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Enter your Comment: