The establishment of the language-training program known as the Language Training Mission (LTM) at Brigham Young University. Originally for Spanish, it expands in 1963 to all Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking missions and in 1964 to German-speaking. In 1968 the LTM expands to sixteen languages, with branches at Ricks College for Dutch and Scandinavian languages and at the Church College of Hawaii for Polynesian and Asian languages. In visiting missions general authorities find the LTM graduate to be more disciplined than other missionaries, who have received only one week's orientation and training at the Salt Lake Missionary Home since 1925.
[The Mormon Hierarchy - Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn, [New Mormon History database (http://bit.ly/NMHdatabase)]]