175 years ago today - Jun 17, 1845

The Twelve indicated they wanted to follow Joseph Smith's proposal and erected a canvas tabernacle on the west side of the temple. Orson Hyde was to travel east and raise money to purchase the canvas. The tabernacle was to be erected "in front of , and joining the Temple on the west." It was to be about 250 feet long and 125 feet wide. It was designed to seat a congregation of eight to ten thousand persons for "preaching," while the temple was to be "used for the meeting of councils and quorums, and the administrations of ordinances and blessings, and preaching to smaller congregations."

Near his date Orson Hyde left for the East "to obtain cloth for the tabernacle" and Howard Eagan had earlier left for St Louis to purchase hemp for making ropes to hold the canvas up. [some minor corrections made]

[Brown, Lisle (compiler), Chronology of the Construction, Destruction and Reconstruction of the Nauvoo Temple]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Enter your Comment: